Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

Hi,

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> I watch a lot of projects.  In my opinion, the projects which conduct
> their discussions in the open tend to be the most robust and the most
> successful.  Those which hold their discussions behind closed doors,
> perhaps occasionally issuing a press release to tell the world what
> they are up to, have far less engaged user and developer communities.

I agree with Jon. I don't support this particular move. Making
foundation-list moderated membership & member posting only, with public
archives, would preserve the transparency while dealing with some of the
noise.

Although, as a counter-example, the KDE eV members list is private, and
they appear to have an engaged user & developer community. And
occasionally we have gotten wind of things that have been said behind
closed doors there which weren't very pleasant about us (I'm thinking in
particular of a GUADEC report from a French guy some years ago which got
leaked & created something of a diplomatic incident).

Cheers,
dave.

--
Dave Neary