Re: Who would be a good member? [Was: About the coming election]

<quote who="Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay">

> > Above all else, I hope you vote for people you know and trust to
> > represent what you value about GNOME. To put it in a clunky but simple
> > way, if "GNOME is People", vote for the people who "are GNOME".
>
> That was what I guess I was getting at. Unless the circle of trust is cast
> wider each year, the set of people one knows and trusts would perhaps be
> static.

I think we do pretty well at this. People who've grown into leadership roles
in the last few years include Quim, Behdad, Vincent and Lucas. The Board may
be smaller these days, but look back at how things have changed over time...
The kids become leaders, the leaders become parents, new energy arrives. :-)

> In fact, I'd rather say (a personal opinion and not that of the Membership
> Committee) that a few of aspiring GNOME Foundation candidates (this year
> and coming year) might like to also get involved with the Membership
> Committee - that's a great place to get to know people and become aware
> what they are doing and who all are doing the cool things along side them

Yeah -- great idea.

> There has to be a strong movement towards telling GNOME contributors that
> there's no magical halo that entitles them to a place on the Foundation
> other than the willingness to put in hours to make it a better place for
> all.

NOW HEAR THIS! THERE IS NO MAGICAL HALO! ;-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

       "Having strings in a language seems to be a case of premature
                        optimization." - Paul Graham