Re: About the coming election

Hey Anne :)

On 11/6/07, Anne Østergaard <anne oestergaard nu> wrote:
> About the coming election of new board members.
>
> It is time for reflection on whether you would like to run for election,
> for the next GNOME Board of Directors, for the next period of eighteen
> months.
>
> In my view, it is important to have a variety of skills represented on
> the board.

Totally agree, I remember we had the chance to chat in GUADEC about
how a different point of view is very important for any group,
sometimes "the outsider look" opens your eyes. The outsider being
either a people from outside or a people from inside but with a
different set of ideas or way of thinking.

> I do not personally believe in a "strong man" dominated board, but
> rather in a group of dedicated team players who always has the best
> interests of the GNOME Foundation, as well as the GNOME community at
> heart.
>
> I think that a well run organization, with a welcoming and helpful
> attitude towards new comers and beginners who would like to contribute
> to the project, would reflect in more cool, user friendly applications
> which will make us all happy.
>
> It would also be a good thing to have as global a representation on the
> board as possible. For the variety of cultures and the inspiration.
>
> We would welcome candidates from all over the globe. (It would be nice
> to see candidates from India and the US for example. As these countries
> are not represented at the moment. The GNOME Foundation is a US based
> legal entity, which means that we act under US legislation.)

Aha, don't worry, the evil latino plan to take over the board is in
process (what do you think Lucas is doing there? muahaha!! >:D)
(that's a joke, laugh now)

> In case you are not able to put in the time it takes being a board
> member yourself, you could try to mail a friend you would like to see as
> a board member and convince him/her to become a candidate.

While reading this, I remembered this mail by Federico:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2006-November/msg00014.html

It cleared a lot of my doubts with regards to being on the board. I
recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about the board (no matter
they run or not for it).

> We have had two votes on internal, organizational issues apart from the
> yearly elections. They have worked fine.
> So we might consider asking The GNOME Foundation Members to vote on
> important, fundamental issues where it is difficult to deduct what the
> opinion of the majority is from the debate.
>
> This idea might also make it even more important to you to be or become
> a GNOME Foundation Member.
>
> I am writing this on behalf of myself, and it reflects my personal
> experience, and views on being a board member for the past two years.

And it's nice to hear about the people who has already being through
the experience, I would encourage other board members to comment about
their experience on the board, the good and bad of it.

greetings!

Diego