Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 22:39 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
> About the KDE & GNOME event, probably the best way to progress is by
> doing progressive approaches. Jumping from the current situation to a
> joint conference sounds a bit like going from self-esteem to the 32nd
> position of the Kama Sutra in one go.
>
> As others have suggested, a successful combined room in FOSDEM would
> be already a big (and useful) step. Trying to put together GUADEC and
> aKademy befor trying smaller challenges in save contexts would be very
> risky.

Maybe for some people, not for me.  Lets repeat again: many of us can
only get to one European conference per year, and even that one is hard
enough to get to.  Sure, there is DAM, there was DesktopConf, there is
LCA, but how can they be efficient if only 50 of the 500 GUADEC
attendees get the chance to experience it?

> And combining both events is complicated only from the organizational
> point of view. The KDE and GNOME community don't meet in random
> places, or where the software/events industry decides to organize
> something. The organization of each event rlies on local communities.
> It is not that easy for each project to find brave teams and good
> venues every year (how many candidates for GUADEC 2008 have we got?).
> Now think about the challenge of searching for a place with GNOME &
> KDE critical mass

Lets not mix organizational challenges into the discussion just yet.
First step we go see if both parties (KDE and GNOME boards/communities)
are interested in the topic.

And I don't agree that colocating GUADEC and aKademy has a worse time
finding a home.  If nothing else, there are more people willing to
contribute to the event, more money, etc.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759