Re: Code Of Conduct

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 19:25, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

> Nobody will be driven away by that, people might be driven away by
> us stating that "you now are part of a community with a code of conduct".

I don't agree.  Every community has a code of conduct, implied or
explicit, IMO.  Anyhow, there's no real enforcement mechanism, so I
don't see this as a realistic concern.

ANY change or statement with a "policy" feel carries the risk of
alienating *somebody*, but that doesn't mean that embracing anarchy is
better.

As an aside, I think the gender issue is important, and probably does
reflect some "cultural" issues within our community (GNOME and the FOSS
community in general).  Members of a community rarely understand the
aspects of their culture that cause others to be alienated or
disinterested, even if they understand why they themselves feel included
and motivated.

Bill