Re: Code Of Conduct

Quim wrote:
> (To me this is a small tiny proof that the only really operative CoC is
> that one assumed internally in our own personal values, attitude and
> behavior)
[snip]

I wouldn't feel optimistic about a code of conduct that didn't represent
our current consensus. We have a few rules here and there in GNOME (see
the release process, for instance). They grew gradually out of consensus -
that's why we very rarely need to enforce them. But just because something
is already agreed, it doesn't mean it's not useful to state it and
advertise it. It reinforces what we already have, and gives us more of it.

So, yes, a little rhetoric is good sometimes.

The objections I see so far to this are
- It wouldn't change anything
or
- It's not necessary.

However, there's no shortage of people saying both that
- Some improvement in behaviour is necessary
and
- This is a possible way to achieve that.

I haven't heard any downside even from people who don't agree with either
of those points.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com