Re: Some perspective on how unimportant the board currently is.

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 19:09 +1300, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 12:12 -0300, Fernando San Martín Woerner wrote:
> > Also i want to remember GNOME Hackers training meetings in Chile as for
> > us is very hard to get some core hacker from GNOME in our country we
> > started a small meetings just to show how to be involved in GNOME,
> > actually we've made more than 10 meetings in the last two years. Our
> > main idea was to prepare a group of hackers to be ready when some core
> > hacker like Federico will come to Chile, so they'll be ready to
> > understand advanced knowledge, the idea has been changing and today
> > Colleges and Universities are asking to GNOME Chile for dates to get a
> > meeting in their campus, the next one will be in November.
> >
> > This kind of initiative should be supported by the Foundation and the
> > board also could be replied arround the world, at least people from
> > GNOME Hispano did it.
>
> So, sounds like you have a real requirement from the Foundation. What is
> it that you need? Have you send the board a list of requirements or
> funds that you need to do a more effective job?
>
> Half the time I heard people on IRC going 'I wish we had this...' or 'I
> wish we had money so I could do this...' - but often those wishes never
> make it back to the foundation board. Seriously people, if you have
> ideas of how you could improve the world wide adoption of GNOME, please
> yell out and suggest them. I think we would be in a much better state if
> we had continuous streams of people sending email asking for X, Y and Z,
> rather than the current board having to second guess everything.
>
> If you need funding for what you think to be an important project, ask.
> If you need travel assistance to speak at an important conference, ask.
> Just ask, it's not going to do any harm. We may not have the finances to
> help everyone, but I'm sure that we'll make an effort for the important
> things.

ok, so here is my petition :)

for the hackers meetings in Spain (3 so far), it would be nice if we
could have t-shirts, cd's, etc, to hand over to people showing up. I
guess for Chile that would help also.

Also, for the GUADEC-ES, it would be extraordinary to have the
Foundation help us in looking for funding, because sometimes getting
local-only companies' (which usually are small) sponsorship is quite
hard, as it is to get sponsorship from big companies' franchises in
Spain (IBM, Novell, Sun) "because they depend on the US main office to
decide on this" or just don't see the benefit, for their local
businesses, in sponsoring this kind of events.

So, if possible, those two things would help a lot to the Spanish-based
GNOME groups, because with more funding, we could bring more GNOME
Hispano people from Latin America, and thus make it more international,
rather than just Spanish people.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>