Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimity! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

<quote who="Aleksey Sanin">

> >Given that there are fair limits on the number of people from a
> >particular commercial entity that may be elected to the Foundation Board,
> >the idea of catching 'block voting' seems somewhat useless. I honestly
> >don't care if all the Widget Incorporated people vote for each other -
> >there'll be a maximum of four Widget Incorporated positions on the Board
> >anyway. So, I don't think public ballot records lend us any advantages on
> >this front.
>
> Stop! Did I got that right? Wasn't it the reason why you *want* to have
> anonymous vote in the first place? :)

No. The reason why anonymous voting was proposed (and this has been
reiterated in this thread a number of times now...) was to allow Foundation
members to vote for whoever they want to, without interpersonal or political
pressure. That has nothing to do with the Board member limits, which have
been in place since the founding of the Foundation.

> Just let everyone vote as they want if they feel they need to vote because
> of corporate reasons :)

Currently, some people don't feel that they can vote however they want, be
it for corporate reasons or otherwise (personal, community, whatever). It
would be advantageous to the Foundation to fix that.

- Jeff

     "I think a lot of the basis of the open source movement comes from
                procrastinating students." - Andrew Tridgell