Re: [fdn-ann] GNOME MEDIA ADVISORY FOR REVIEW

Hi Miguel,

I generally like your proposal.

A couple of comments:
1- we need to be careful about who announces what.  Since the
GNOME Foundation doesn't exist, it can't announce anything.  I'm
comfortable with Miguel announcing the launch of the Gnome Foundation on
behalf of the Gnome community.  I still recommend that the OpenOffice
announcement, however it's phrased. come from the Steering Committee.
2- I agree with Maciej's comment that 5 (PDA's etc) is very 'vapory'
3- making an announcement about Mozilla 'on behalf' of the
GNOME community has the potential to be controversial, so if we end up
doing that, I'd like to float the draft press release on foundation-list
ASAP, and I think it'd be good to have some conversation about that on
the steering committee or gnome-hackers, BUT
4- if AOL were to announce that they're joining the Foundation's advisory
board AND they're also announcing that they're going to be dedicating a
number of hackers to integrate Mozilla into Gnome (preferably without
distracting current Mozilla hackers), boy, that would be exciting news.
The foundation's advisory board is open to all comers, but people on
foundation-list have expressed that they want companies to contribute
code and hacker resources, not just their $10,000.  So that would be a
huge win.

So my recommendation would be to work hard with the people at AOL and see
if we can get them to commit some resources to integrating Mozilla into
GNOME.  They've gotten some horrible press today (go read the
mozillazine.org posts about NS PR2), so this may not be such a bad time
to get them to make a commitment.
(BTW, didn't I read somewhere that AOL is working on a Linux client for
their AOL software - maybe that can be integrated with GNOME as well.)

5- Poor Greg, he's trying to pull together another draft of the press
release in the middle of all this. Miguel, maybe you can submit some
quotes and other language to help Greg turn this into a press release by
tomorrow night (we really need to get this draft press release to the
folks who need to get corporate approvals by Thursday morning).

Bart