Re: Version handling?

On 15/06/2011 14:25, David Morrison wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I do ... I can definitely see the
export/re-import process as being much faster! I would also love to
rename the files from the cumbersome version names fspot applies.  I've
never played with scripts, is doing what you said a difficult one to do?

Thanks for the inspiration!

It felt 'wrong' when I first started doing this but now it's quite streamlined. The scripting isn't too difficult but mine is a complete shambles so probably wouldn't be much use to you. Although I could tidy it up a bit for wider human consumption. Basically what I do is use the tags as my new filename. I separate the tags with double-hyphens. If the photo has a photo-taken datestamp I append that to the end.

So for example, to extract the dates from the jpeg I use a snippet such as:

jpegcreated=`exiftool -d %c -CreateDate "${fname}" | sed 's/\//-/g' | sed 's/^.*: //' | sed 's/:/-/g'`
    echo "Created: ${jpegcreated}"
    if [[ -z ${jpegcreated} ]] ; then
        echo "Create date not found. Using original"
jpegcreated=`exiftool -d %c -DateTimeOriginal "${fname}" | sed 's/^.*: //' | sed 's/:/-/g'`
        echo "Original: ${jpegcreated}"
    fi

and then to extract the rest of the tags I use the line:

jpegtags=`exiftool -Subject "${fname}" | sed 's/^.*: //' | sed 's/,/ --/g'`

I then create the new filename based on the date and tags.

It was all based on trial and error by playing with exiftool and looking at its output.

My script is a bit scruffy and it's specific to my setup but I could have a look at tidying it up if you wanted to try it yourself.

If you browse through some of the photos on my gallery website ( fellandforest.co.uk), you'll see that I've configured zenfolio (the hosting site) to use the filename as the photo title.

One drawback is that I've no idea how f-spot stores the tags, so the order of the filename tags is as they are reported by exiftool.

A couple of gotchas; You need to tell f-spot to write metadata to file (as explained here: http://www.bluecedar.org.uk/?p=76 ), and also, it's always worth running f-spot with debug on so that you can monitor progress. If you are writing a load of tags to image files it can take f-spot quite a while to catch-up.

Dougie