Re: Roadmap to 1.0

Hi All,

It has been a while since i've subscribed to this list and now i feel the
urge to respond. I've been on IRC before but that was ages ago.

[introduction:skip this if in a hurry]
A short introduction: I'm a OSS fan, Ubuntu user, f-spot user for i think
roughly 2 years (db: 59.9k photos in f-spot atm) and did some db-tuning in
the past. (there in bugzilla somewhere). Furthermore i'm a python
developer and a DBA for profession and have to get to C# not long from
now. Both an OSS fan and amature photographer i used to work only with the
Gimp, but i needed more and bought an old paint shop pro edition: XI -
which doesn't work on Linux, not even with Wine, WineX or other emulation
layers i've tried. So, here i am, a linux user using windows for the sake
of PSP with my photo collection managed on my local machine somewhere on
my linux partition and all my foto's available on the network...
[end of introduction]

Why do i respond now? Because of the discussion on including the photo's
in the database: Please don't do it!

Since i'm using windows most of the time i have to get to my picture by
other means than f-spot (which is a pain once you've got accustomed to
f-spot - i assure you). Furthermore, i like to use a naming and archival
scheme that's different from f-spot which f-spot allows me to use because
it can work with the files by just importing the filename: this rocks!

Neat trick is this feature allows me to use hardlinks for the files so my
girlfriend can have her own f-spot index without having to duplicate the
image on disk: with 60k files you can see that advantage i guess.

That's my 50c.

> Why won't it bring us any closer?  Brian brought up some good ideas in
> the discussion, and if someone likes them and puts them into code, that's
> closer, no? :-)

True, but i hope no-one will force me :)

With kind regards,
And a thumbs up for f-spot, keep up the good work!

Remco Boerma
http://nolife.nl