Re: Alternative UI for changing time and timezone

On On, 2005-08-24, 04:03 am, Mattias Holmlund skrev:
> On 8/22/05, Bengt Thuree <bengt thuree com> wrote:
>> The autoincrement time is nice, if you have say 20 pictures you have the
>> wrong time and date on (or who do not have any time at all), and you
>> want
>> the physical name to be like <timestamp>-Home.jpg or something like
>> that.
>> Then you want to ensure that all pictures have a different time.
>

> Setting the time on all images without taking into account the current
> time on the images is a very different function. To me, this is a very
> specialized function. I think that all cameras today add a timestamp
> to the images when they are taken. The only time you might encounter
> an image without a timestamp is the exif-information has been removed.
> Another possible use-case is when you have images from a lot of
> different cameras and you don't have time to do an accurate adjustment
> for each camera and just want to set them "roughly right". I think
> both these cases are uncommon. We should support them, but we must
> somehow make the distinction between "relative adjustment" and setting
> an absolute time (with or without auto-increment).

The way I solved this one was to have two radio buttons, one for Adjusting
the timezone (so to speak), and the other to set the Date (and possible
time)

In my case, I choosed to have a checkbox which had to be active to set the
time, otherwise only the date part would be set (keeping the original time
stamp).

I had a number of photos that did not have a timestamp on them. Do not ask
me why, I have no clue. I also had a number of photos that had a very
weird timestamp (like 1970 or something). This was on the photos I took
with my first camera (Canon Ixus), but just proves the point that we need
to be able to handle it.

>> > I have also removed the checkbox/radiobuttons before the dates and

> This situation differs between "relative adjustments" and absolute.
> For relative adjustments, you always specify an adjustment in
> plus/minus days, hours, minutes and seconds. If you don't want to
> change the date, then days is simply set to zero. You specify the
> amount of relative adjustment by changing the date/time for the first
> picture and all subsequent pictures will be adjusted the same amount.
> If you only want to change the timezone, you simply set the adjustment
> to zero (by not changing the date and time in the dialog) and then
> specify the new timezone.

Hmm... I seem to remember you only had a calender function, that will
always return a date. So you can not set it to Zero. I would still
recommend using the RadioButtons/Checkbox'es. Much clearer, especially
since if they are disabled (the radio or checkbox), then a lot of the
options are visibly disabled
Why do you need to adjust more than (plus/minus) 23 hours 59 minutes?
Changing timezone is within that area. And I think it is enough. If more,
then select some pictures and change the date on them, and repeat...

> For the absolute adjustments, I believe that you always want to set
> both date, time and timezone. How can you possibly have a set of
> pictures that have one of them correct but not the other? If you only
> want to change the timezone, you should use the "relative adjustment"
> function and not the absolute.

Your son could have been in charge of changing the time on the camera, and
he by mistake used the wrong date...

I agree with timezone, but until Larry decides how F-Spot should handle
it....

>> > Regarding timezones: There are two timezone settings in my dialog. The
>> > first one specifies the timezone that the time is currently in. The
>> > second one allows you to adjust the timezone. Note that if you start
>> > off with a timestamp in for example UTC, there is a difference between
>> > adding two hours and setting the timezone to +02:00 versus to convert
>> > the timezone to Europe/Stockholm, since only the latter one takes
>> > daylight savings time into account.

I wanted to have a from/to timzone settings in my adjust time dialog. But
since F-Spot do not handle timezone today, and it was simplier without...

You also need to cope with the daylight saving and all that...

/Bengt

--
Bengt Thuree   bengt thuree com    www.thuree.com/bt