Re: Alternative UI for changing time and timezone

Hi

> I didn't really understand the difference between "Set time" and "Auto
> increment time" in your dialog. My idea is that if you select several
> images, you edit the time on the first image until it is correct and
> then the same adjustment (i.e. the same increase/decrease) will be
> done to all the other images. I can't really see a reason why you
> would want to set the same date and time to all images regardless of
> their current date/time.
The autoincrement time is nice, if you have say 20 pictures you have the
wrong time and date on (or who do not have any time at all), and you want
the physical name to be like <timestamp>-Home.jpg or something like that.
Then you want to ensure that all pictures have a different time.

> I have also removed the checkbox/radiobuttons before the dates and
> times. If the user doesn't want to change the date and/or time, he can
> just avoid changing them in the dialog.
Not the best solution I think.
Since you might want to change the time on 50 pictures, that all were
taken during different days. You only want to change the timezone...
I am not sure how you would ensure that the date is not changed, if for
instance the user be mistake fiddle around with the calender box...

> Regarding timezones: There are two timezone settings in my dialog. The
> first one specifies the timezone that the time is currently in. The
> second one allows you to adjust the timezone. Note that if you start
> off with a timestamp in for example UTC, there is a difference between
> adding two hours and setting the timezone to +02:00 versus to convert
> the timezone to Europe/Stockholm, since only the latter one takes
> daylight savings time into account.

I think that the two timezones are good, and needed.

I have a weird computer here. My hardware clock is set to Australian time,
but local time is Irish in Windows. Linux is not handling this to well
though. (dual boot)

Lets see how the final solution will be.
Anyway, I have submitted my patch so you can check the code and use bits
and pieces from it perhaps.

I think we will have a good time changing function later.

/Bengt