Re: Alternative UI for changing time and timezone

On 8/19/05, Bengt Thuree <bengt thuree com> wrote:
> Hej Mattias,

Hi again...

> I still think you do not allocate for all time adjusting scenarious.
> For example see screenshot at
> http://www.thuree.com:8080/bt/testing/F-Spot-ChangeTime.jpg

I have tried merging your dialog with mine. I started with your dialog
and added timezone information. I have also given up on the idea of a
Display timezone separate from the timezone in the picture. It will
probably be confusing to the user. I have uploaded a new picture to

http://www.holmlund.se/f-spot/Dialog-alternative3.png

(I gave up on Glade halfway through and started using the Gimp to move
things around... Sorry about the small artifacts in the picture.)

At the top, there should be a rectangle with "Sample time" in the same
way as in your picture.

I didn't really understand the difference between "Set time" and "Auto
increment time" in your dialog. My idea is that if you select several
images, you edit the time on the first image until it is correct and
then the same adjustment (i.e. the same increase/decrease) will be
done to all the other images. I can't really see a reason why you
would want to set the same date and time to all images regardless of
their current date/time.

I have also removed the checkbox/radiobuttons before the dates and
times. If the user doesn't want to change the date and/or time, he can
just avoid changing them in the dialog.

Regarding timezones: There are two timezone settings in my dialog. The
first one specifies the timezone that the time is currently in. The
second one allows you to adjust the timezone. Note that if you start
off with a timestamp in for example UTC, there is a difference between
adding two hours and setting the timezone to +02:00 versus to convert
the timezone to Europe/Stockholm, since only the latter one takes
daylight savings time into account.

Do I address all your scenarios now? If not, which ones am I missing?

/Mattias