Re: [Evolution] Have I pushed Evolution beyond where it is designed to go?

On 11/8/22 00:21, Paul Smith wrote:
On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 16:17 -0600, Tim McConnell via evolution-list
wrote:
On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 16:34 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this comment.  The whole point of flatpak
(and snap) is that it's not _supposed_ to need to worry about the
dependencies of the distribution.  That's why you'd use it.

Which is why they are bad ideas to use. There is no way that ARCH or
Gentoo or Kali use the same dependencies. It's called "Dependency
Hell" and the theory of FlatPack and SNAP not needing to follow or
use a distributions is like walking into a [...]

As mentioned I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 which has a similar vintage of
Gnome desktop and apps, including Evolution, that the Debian stable in
question uses.  And the flatpak version of Evolution 3.46 works great
on my system.

The 3.46.x flatpak series has been a total disaster for me. Mysterious

segfaults after 15 or so actions.

Connection failures right and left.  I manage 8 email addresses. 4 Google
workspace address, 2 Google free gmail address and 2 MS office online
addresses.  All 8 use Oauth2 to authenticate via IMAP.   At the moment,
3 of google address won't authenticate ( 2 paid, 1 free) and 1 of the MS
accounts also fails.

Every Flatpak component is fully updated, leaving me running 3.46.1 at
the moment.

When it works Flatpak is a nice tool, a much better alternative than trying
build Evolution from scratch or running the distro version which is on 3.36.5