Re: [Evolution] Have I pushed Evolution beyond where it is designed to go?

On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 15:15 -0600, Tim McConnell wrote:
Your problem with using the flathub version is because the Flatpack
doesn't honor the dependencies of the distribution.

I'm not sure I understand this comment.  The whole point of flatpak
(and snap) is that it's not _supposed_ to need to worry about the
dependencies of the distribution.  That's why you'd use it.

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 which also provides Evolution 3.36 standard.
I'm not ready to upgrade my distribution, but I definitely need a newer
Evolution.  So, I've installed the flatpak version of Evolution 4.46
and it runs fine for me (except for known issues with this release):

  ~$ flatpak list
  Name                    Application ID             Version Branch Installation
  Evolution               org.gnome.Evolution        3.46.1  stable system

I'm not sure about Debian but I don't see why it would be different.

Personally I'd be much more wary of changing sources.list to a
different distro and just upgrading: that seems like a good way to get
a broken system.  At least if the flatpak doesn't work it's trivial to
get rid of it.