Re: [Evolution] Have I pushed Evolution beyond where it is designedto go?

On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 12:45 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 20:01 +0800, Mike Lieberman wrote:
I used installed the 3.46.1 (by Flathub.org) version. My OS didn't
like
it but it did install and the problem I was having is gone. This
version is working.

I presume you understand that Flatpak versions run in a sanboxed
environment?  I'm not sure of the current state of the newest
versions
and how they interact with the host OS, but that sandboxing has
caused
issues in the past (although we are seeing fewer help requests about
them).

With all due respect, sandboxes leak. That the e install is not
natively tied in to the rest of Debian, can lead to problems.

The new flathub install software center is not liked by Debian. And
the
code Debian is installing is a problem.

If you mean the Evolution version that Debian installs, then no, you
are not correct.  It is all OK.  What appears to be the issue is that
the backend databases that contain Evolution operational data are a
newer version than your version of Evolution is expecting: as
Evolution
is developed, new features are added that require updates to the
database schema. These updates are not backward compatible, so if you
try and run an older version of Evolution after running a newer
version, you will get errors and odd behaviour.

I was unable to get a current version under the stable release, so I
don't understand your comment.

So, did you run a different/newer version of Evolution before going
back to using the default version for your OS?  (Note that I don't
know
if the flatpak version uses the same data locations now - I don't use
flatpak at all, so someone with more knowledge will be able to say.)

I did not run a newer version prior to this. I said that clearly and I
really have no reason to lie. I was trying to solve a problem. Why lie?

Nevertheless, Milan has given you all the information you need to
clean
up your configuration to start anew.

I am stuck with the flatpak version until Debian roles out the version
I need and then, I pray that once I export again, it will import
without another blow up. I honestly do not understand about the
comment, "Milan has given you all the information you need to
clean  up your configuration to start anew."

Mike Lieberman

_____
evolution-list mailing list
evolution-list gnome org