From: Luigi Cantoni <luigic fgcint com>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Deleted font used by evolution - fedora 36
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:07:16 +0800
Mailer: Evolution 3.44.3 (3.44.3-1.fc36)

HI all,

Sorry to bother everyone again.

I have 5 systems which are basically nearly exactly the same.
On three of them the icons are (were) working correctly in evolution.
I can change them and they change.

For 2 systems they refuse to change in evolution.
The folder icons visible on the desktop change exactly as they should when I use tweaks to change them but evolution icons will not change from the B&W version.

I have the same user environment i.e. all the home files and configurations etc copied from an non working one onto one of the working system and it works.
If I take a working user and put it onto the non working machine it does not work.
This implies to me it is something in the system generally that is stopping it (not the user end).

I have made sure all these are upgrade/reinstalled etc to make sure they are exactly the same version etc
evolution
gnome-tweaks
gnome-extensions-app
gnome-colors-icon-theme (the themes I wish to activate)
chrome-gnome-shell
adwaita-qt6
libadwaita
libadwaita-qt6
I was hoping maybe one of these was just out of date or something.

I have also made sure user the extensions apps are also installed that are needed like
user-themes (which I don't has any effect on the icon theme but the shell theme).

I updated/reinstalled these items for gtk3 but again no luck.
PackageKit-gtk3-module
gtk3
ibus-gtk3
libappindicator-gtk3
libcanberra-gtk3
libdbusmenu-gtk3
libindicator-gtk3
libreoffice-gtk3
python3-matplotlib-gtk3
webkit2gtk3
webkit2gtk3-jsc

I am fairly sure I have just missed some software update or something to do with gtk that needs to be done but I cannot see what it is.

The really annoying thing is that somewhere in what I have been doing has now made my system also stop working and revert back to B&W icons. I was doing things to try and fix it on both my (working) system and one of the failed systems. It all looked fine on my system until I rebooted, this makes me think maybe some sort library/module file. My working systems are now all at work. I SSH'ed into one of the systems checked it still looked OK and checked all the version for the above files and all were the same except 1 which I downgraded. No improvement.

I am at a loss now and would appreciate it someone could advise what I have missed/done wrong.
When I get to work Monday I will try and work out what it is but I cannot now see anything obvious at the moment.
Happy to try anything people suggest. When I work it out I will let everyone know.