Re: [Evolution] Evolution and gmail

On Wed, 2022-08-17 at 00:52 +0200, Jaroslaw Rafa via evolution-list
wrote:
Dnia 16.08.2022 o godz. 23:24:37 Patrick O'Callaghan pisze:

Spam filtering is under the control of the receiver. It's trivial
tell Gmail that a message is not spam, and it will learn that for
future reference.

It does not. Myself I have two test accounts on Gmail, I send myself
mail
from time to time to these accounts, mark it as non-spam, yet next
messages
are again going to spam.

You might also look at *why* your mail is being
classified as spam. Could it be that some people have marked it as
such?

All this has been already tried and discussed countless times. I have
written a lot about this on "mailop" mailing list. It is going on for
more
that two years now. I don't want to start this discussion again here,
as it
is just pointless

I agree. There's clearly a complex situation here and I don't pretend
to understand it.

The number of false positives I've had is so small that I actually
never bother to check my spam folder any more as there's no point.

And that's the problem for people like me who get "punished" for
don't-know-what by Google - people like you, who believe that "Google
just
can't be wrong", so there's no sense in checking the spam folder.

I didn't (and don't) say that Google can't be wrong. Clearly it's using
heuristics for spam filtering, and heuristics are never perfect. What I
do say is that *in my experience* it's not worth checking the spam
folder because *for me* it actually does work very well. IOW the
probability of a false positive is so low that I have decided that it's
not worth the effort.

It's perhaps worth remembering that email is "unreliable" (in the sense
that it's not guaranteed to be reliable). We often forget this because
in practice it actually is very reliable. Until it isn't. Checking or
not checking a spam folder should be seen in that context.

poc