Re: [Evolution] Evolution and gmail

On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 17:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 11:12 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
We've been over this before. There's nothing stopping you from
syncing
your IMAP account to your local machine. There is *NO* advantage to
using POP, and a number of disadvantages. The only reason to ever
use
it is if your mail provider doesn't support IMAP.

Hi,

my bad, I haven't read the whole thread.

I've got different "local" machines with different operating systems.
Offline-IMAP can be a PITA and might be more or less impossible on
some
machines. Setting up a POP account is straightforward for power users
as
well as noobs. If only one MUA deletes the POP mails from the server,
after n days, the mails are similar accessible by different MUAs as
IMPA
mails are, but without all the offline IMAP issues, such as
duplicated
emails. And as already pointed out by my riseup.net link, quota is an
issue, maybe not for spoiled people, but for all those watching every
penny.

Much likely we will easily find more "exceptional cases", such as the
one mentioned by Jaroslaw Rafa. However, all of us are aware of
common
pitfalls of IMAP as well as POP. Why don't I see this or that folder?
Spam filtering on the server vs on the machine, both has got pros and
cons.

I will not convince anybody that POP is better than IMAP. The only
point
I make is that POP can be better than IMAP for some users under some
circumstances.

I agree that people's needs may be different.

Nobody should fool around with gmail, despite of being in favour of
POP or IMAP. No gmail, less problems.

I completely disagree with this last statement. The corporate version
of Gmail saved me a ton of headaches back when I ran my university's
mail service. In fact these days that service would simply not be able
to exist without it, because it's in a cash-strapped third world
country and simply cannot afford to run its own servers.

And the free version of Gmail has by far the best spam filtering I've
come across. In fact I don't even bother with Bogofilter or
Spamassassin any more.

YMMV of course, as to repeat: people's needs may be different.

This is starting to get off-topic so I suggest we agree to disagree.

poc