[Evolution] Evolution and gmail

Greetings,

        I have been trying to add one of my email accounts to Evolution, but
have had little to no success.
        This particular account is hosted by gmail. Adding it through GNOME's
Online Accounts is easy enough. However, periodically Evolution fails to sync
mail, tasks and/or calendar, and the only solution for that is removing the
account and adding it again.

        Nevertheless, I want to add email through POP; I *really* don't want to
keep anything in google's hands. However, when I try to add this email address
as a POP account, Evolution automatically turns it into a "gmail-type" account
and reverts to IMAP syncing.

        Why does Evolution do that? Is there any way I can use this email in
Evolution without it forcing me to use IMAP?

Thanks
Francisco