Re: [Evolution] troublesome cache

Oh what an extremely friendly and helpful person

10|-1
Richard

On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 13:26 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 17:39 +0000, Richard Bown wrote:
I know Andre has pointed to all the evo data files
Last attempt was
sudo apt purge evolution*
evolution --force-shutdown
rm -rf ~/.local/share/evolution
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/evolution
rm -rf ~/.cache/evolution
rm -rf ~/.config/evolution
dconf reset -f /org/gnome/evolution/
gconftool not installed as my DM is cinnamon

You do understand that *YOU* create these kinds of problems by
messing
around in the filesystem, right?  Stop doing that; use the tools in
the intended fashion.

check all hidden evol files have gone
then re-istalled evo
richard@richard-Inspiron-3580:~$ ls -s .cache/evolution/mail
total 12
4 1527769677.8716.2@richard-Inspiron-N5030
4 7bb2e693532a510fb41eca211d9e5a026556fa10
4 83febb968dd172d285752d793ebe81d81ef79a59
Its back !!!!!!!!!!

Are you doing this while logged in?  If so, don't ever. Just stop.

IF I've uninstalled evo removed

What?  Uninstalling Evolution has no impact on this at all; that is
not
how things work.

I tried asking on the Linux mint forum and just getting called a
liar
as they think it doesn't happen.
This is very frustrating

As a GNOME/Evolution since the days of Ximian -> you've created this
mess.

If you want a completely clean install then create a new user account
and log into that; transfer the actual documents you want; then
delete
the old user account.

NOTE: I haven't ever, in decades, had to do that.  But I also stay
out
of the "." directories except in the rarest of instances.  If you go
into them more than once a year you are doing something wrong.

Now I suspect that as when a file is deleted the space it used
still contains the data,...

Yes, absolutely that is true.  That is true of every POSIX compliant
file-system.  A file may be deleted [aka: unlinked from the
directory]
but persists on disk, and is fully operational, until ZERO processes
have it open.  It is common even for an application to create a file,
open it, delete it, and then use it until the application ends when
the
file then automatically reaped by the file-system. This is a feature,
great one, not a bug.   Also a reason not to mess around in
application
directories; you don't necessarily see what that process sees [again,
feature, not bug].

Also "man -S2 mmap", memory mapped files are yet another whole thing
[feature, not bug].  And that's what is used by GConf/DConf.