Re: [Evolution] Adding Google account broke Evolution

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to work on this again over the weekend, when it will be less of a problem if I break something again.

FTR, my personal Google account has 2FA and I am using CalDAV with an app password to login. That works. My work Google account does not seem to offer 2FA, so I was using CalDAV with the Google setting "allow insecure apps." Will evaluate the alternatives and test over the weekend.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021, at 2:16 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Thu, 2021-12-16 at 11:05 -0800, Alex Doll wrote:
> I didn't pursue a fix, I just removed my google accounts from
> Evolution and disabled the Google account from the Gnome panel to
> make the login prompts go away.

Hi,
you should be able to use the OAuth2, especially with the 3.42.2, which
you seem to be using. It can be a bit more problematic with the ancient
3.36.5, though I think not so hard too.

I do not think there are any easier ways how to make it work than what
Evolution offers (there had have some glitches in the process before
3.40 or some such version), just do Edit->Accounts->Add->Collection
Account->[fill a @gmail.com address]->Lookup->(finds 8 candidates
here)->Next->Next->Next->..., then fill in OAuth2 credentials and
that's all.

Alternatively, File->New->Mail Account->[fill a @gmail.com address]
->Next->Next->Apply. Then you are asked for the OAuth2 credentials and
that's all.

You get all your mail, tasks, contacts (CardDAV) and (enabled for sync)
calendars (CalDAV). There are shown related links in the account
wizards.

The third option is to add a Google account in the GNOME Online
Accounts, which the evolution-data-server talks to and provides the
information for Evolution (and any other application using the
evolution-data-server).

Bye,
Milan