Re: [Evolution] Adding Google account broke Evolution

-----Original Message-----
From: Julius Merphik via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: [Evolution] Adding Google account broke Evolution
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:23:17 -0500

Evolution was working perfectly with one local e-mail, one remote e-
mail (IMAP), and two remote calendars (one CalDAV + one Google
Calendar via CalDAV, using an app password). Evolution v. 3.36.5-
0ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 20.04.3.

This morning I added my Google work calendar and Gmail work e-mail
(IMAP); no 2FA available on this account, so I enabled less secure
app access in Google. Everything appeared to be working fine, so I
shut down my computer. The next time I started it, I was unable to
access *ANY* of my non-local e-mail or calendar accounts.

After deleting my Google work account (email and calendar) from
Evolution, I was able to reactivate my Fastmail email account by
deleting and reinstalling it, but I could not get any non-local
calendars working again. In the end, I deleted all Evolution data and
config files, deleted all email and calendar login credentials from
the keyring, uninstalled and purged Evolution, then reinstalled and
rebuilt everything from scratch. Now I am back to where I started.

My question is: Does anyone have any thoughts about what might have
caused this, and how I can avoid it? I need to have my work account
accessible, but I really, really don't want to go through that again.

The Google calendar I was using stopped allowing login from my Linux
machine earlier this week. I think they've changed their login for
non-Google apps in a way that impacts Linux as a whole, not only
Evolution. So yes, you aren't the only person who was impacted by
this.

I didn't pursue a fix, I just removed my google accounts from Evolution
and disabled the Google account from the Gnome panel to make the login
prompts go away. Unfortunately not everybody has the option of
installing their own OwnCloud server and ditching Google the way I did.
:(

-AD

--
Alex Doll, MAusIMM