Re: [Evolution] Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 22:34 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 20:51 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 19:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
uninitialized field.

I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.

poc

I have backed up my calendar.ics file - looking at it with notepad it looks ok no corruption and the edits I made to appointments today are all there.

I can't delete my calendar file as the command is greyed out. The
delete contacts command is also greyed out. Not sure why.

You can always delete it from outside Evolution. Before doing so, stop
Evo completely, including all associated processes (quit Evo and run
'pkill evolution'). Then restart, create a new calendar and import the
old file.

NB: I'm just improvising here as personally I use online calendars
rather than local ones. Perhaps other list members have a better idea.

poc

I have stumbled on a cure In Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties On this Computer - Personal there is a tickbox Use in Birthdays & Anniversaries calendar.
If I untick this I can now create new entries in the Calendar and the error message above no longer appears.
The birthdays which are in the Contacts book still appear though I have not tested if any new entries appear.

Does this give any clue as to what the problem is ?

Regards

John