Re: [Evolution] Failed to open calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” Invalid object

On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 19:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Mbox is for mail. It has nothing to do with calendars. Neither does the
contacts.db file. A date of 1/1/9999 looks very much like an
uninitialized field.

I suggest you save your existing *.ics file(s) somewhere as a backup,
delete or rename the calendar from within Evolution, then create an
entirely new calendar (also in Evolution), and import the backup .ics
file(s). That should at least start things off in a consistent state.

poc

I have backed up my calendar.ics file - looking at it with notepad it looks ok no corruption and the edits I made to appointments today are all there.

I can't delete my calendar file as the command is greyed out. The delete contacts command is also greyed out. Not sure why.

However I have found that Under Evolution Accounts - Address Book Properties - Type on this computer - Name Personal there is a tick box 'use in Birthdays & Anniversaries Calendar' if I untick this I am now able to create new appointments instead of getting the error message above. Does this help in the diagnostics ?

I can use that as a temporary fix but it would be good to get Birthdays & anniversaries shown again.

Could the error message be the result of a corrupted / invalid birthday in the address book as I have edited several of these recently ?

Thanks

John Murrell