Re: [Evolution] Evolution & onion-adress

On Thu, 2020-07-23 at 09:08 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Wed, 2020-07-22 at 09:17 +0200, Jerome Lille wrote:
A question about the Network Preferences dialog. Are changes to the
custom proxy settings supposed to work immediately? If not, then
when?

      Hi,
it's immediately, as in: the next time the backend tries to connect
the server. That is harder force with collection account backends, it
can be done with "Refresh list of account..." context menu option
above
the account name in respective views. The second "Refresh" option can
cause re-connect attempt for the data backend (calendar/book/...)
itself.

If unsure, `evolution --force-shutdown` can do the trick too.

I think the Evolution and proxy handling is faulty. Let me tell two
different scenarios.

First in Gnome settings I set network proxy to manual and pointing
towards the local tor proxy. Then in the Evolution network preference I
set the default proxy settings to Defer to Desktop Settings. Then I
define a new collection account. It will find my Nextcloud server at
the onion-address and all the calendar and contacts show up. Except for
the holiday calendar that is blocked. So far so good. Then I change
Evolution default proxy setting to No proxy and use custom proxy
settings instead, except for the holiday calendar. Then I go Gnome
settings and turn network proxy off. I don't want the whole desktop to
use this proxy. Everything still works fine. Then I restart Evolution.
Now my Nextcloud contacts are no longer accessible but all my calendars
seems to work fine. Then I restart the laptop and after that neither
the contacts nor the calendars are accessible, except to the holiday
calendar. I verified the local tor proxy is up and running after
restart.

Second scenario. Gnome network proxy is off. In Evolution network
preferences the default proxy settings is manual and pointing to the
local tor proxy. Then I define a new collection account. It will find
my Nextcloud server at the onion-address and all the calendar and
contacts show up, but inaccessible. The error message is "Error loading
calendar Nextcloud:Personal. The calendar is not marked for offline
usage" This happens although Evolution had just discovered this
calendar in the setup process. Then in Evolution network preferences I
turn off default proxy settings and turn on custom proxy for selected
calendars and contacts. I still have the same error message.

I think the Evolution proxy handling is faulty.

/Jerome