Re: [Evolution] Move mail to where?

On Mon, 2020-01-20 at 17:20 +0100, George N. Reeke wrote:
There is one other way that would let me go back to "type-to-search"
and that would be if the folders are always searched in some known
order, like alphabetically.  Then I could get what I want by renaming
my folders, for example "mailA2020", "mailB2019" etc.  Would that
always open "mailA2020" first for the search and return the first
box found in that folder that matched the typed string, if any?

        Hi,
the type-to-search is fully handled by gtk+. If I'm not mistaken, then
it searches from the currently selected row downwards.

I briefly looked into the code, just in case I'd forget of some option
or anything like that, and I saw that there is no option for the
"expand-all", it's always expanding it. There is an option to avoid
expansion of archive folders.

Neither of it is what you want, right? You basically want an option to
always open the copy/move dialog with certain folder preselected. With
that, you'll navigate whenever you want, but this navigation will not
change the folder to have the copy/move dialog opened with the next
time, right? Like you'd select the top archive folder and navigate
always from it.

I know you basically want to "revert" (by added option) the previous
change, but I'm wondering whether it's really the best thing to do.
Thinking that you use it as archiving, I'd rather change how archiving
itself works. Currently, when you right-click the folder in the folder
tree and pick Properties, there's an Archive tab. You can set there how
the Message->Archive (Ctrl+Alt+A) should work. There are three options:
1) move to default archive folder (per-account option); 2) move to
specified folder; 3) delete messages. Maybe this is a pure nonsense,
but would the 4th option "always pick folder where to archive", which
would disable the "auto-cleanup option" and which would always open the
folder selector in the archive folder set for the account, do the
trick?

I look on it as a similarity when saving files in a web browser, I
prefer to always pick where to save the file, but I also prefer to have
preselected the directory I used the last time (which you do not seem
to like).

This is more complicated than tweaking the copy/move dialog, code-wise
speaking too, but I think it's cleaner solution. Maybe not.
        Bye,
        Milan