Re: [Evolution] Move mail to where?

On Fri, 2020-01-17 at 18:13 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:

---trimmed---
Also note that recent versions allow defining an Archive folder. See
"Account Management > account type > Default Folders" in the Help.

I currently don't think that any code should be changed. How often do
you need to manually copy and move mail, and which underlying problem
is solved by this concept? Basically: If you have a "mail2018"
folder,
why do you still 'need' to move mail into that folder 13 months
later?
Asking as it would help understand the workflow better here.

andre
--
Dear Andre et al.,
Here is my workflow.  Apparently yours is different.  It would be
nice if evolution would allow variations.
I am a scientist.  I deal with most emails when they arrive, but
some contain material I need to read later.  I leave them in my
Inbox to remind me of their existence.  (Not a lot, maybe 50 more
than a year old.)  When I deal with any email, I want to move it to
a subfolder of the folder for the year when it arrived--usually the
current year.  All I am asking for is that when I select a named
folder by typing a few letters, by default the dialog should
always pick the one for the current year when there are duplicates,
unless I scroll to and click on a different one.  As I said in my
original posting, the default top-level folder could be the last one
used or the newest one or any other simple-to-program choice.
Actually better for me would be to have it be a preferences item,
so the dialog would go back to the one for the current year on those
rare occasions when I save in an old one before the current one.
I think this might be a reasonable option for other people who might
move emails to places in some tree that fits their work style,
whatever that might be, by years or something else.  Please note, I am
not asking the program to do anything specific to my situation other
than to avoid moving mails to the wrong place when there are duplicate
names in a tree and a name is selected by typing letters rather than
scrolling.  I think this might be a problem for others users as well.
   I do use filters for certain categories of low-priority emails.
I do not ever want unread ones not in those categories to be moved
automatically out of my inbox.  I think that is what you are
suggesting.  Not right for me.
George Reeke