Re: [Evolution] How to automatically obtain PGP keys for e-mail recipients? (key discovery)

On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 18:00 +0200, David Hebbeker wrote:
Also in the manual of GnuPG it specified to usually use left and
right angles for used IDs [5]. So Evolution does apply the specified
gpg interface.

        Hi,
thanks for the investigation. I would not expect it to be it. The
manual says to "use the left/right angles for exact matches on email
address", not really that being a "usual use" (I understand the two as
different things). I also believe, and agree with you, that Evolution
(or libcamel) does a correct thing.

It seems like there is a bug in GnuPG 2.1.18 which has not been
fully resolved [6]?

I agree, it really looks like a bug on the GnuPG side, but not
necessarily the [6]. It can claim that a key was not found (which is
correct, after all), but it should be able to download the key even
when the recipient is enclosed in angles. I think the code to auto-
fetch keys should be fixed here.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to debug whether the GnuPG tried to
fetch the address, maybe it did, but left there the angles, which could
result in "key not found" response from the key server.

I'd suggest you to start a discussion on the GnuPG side. They may shed
some light on this.
        Bye,
        Milan