Re: [Evolution] How often should I expect OAuth2 authentication to fail ?

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 19:55 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 12:22 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>
> I configured Oauth2 in Google Cloud Platform Console (created the
> token/key pair ).
>
> Hmm, I meant where you configured the Google (IMAP/SMTP) account,
> whether directly in Evolution, or in some 3rd-party software.
> Evolution
> itself asks for the token when the account is created, if the account
> is configured in Evolution directly.

Directly in Evolution

> Then I configured Evolution to us Oauth2 for both sending/receiving
> email with StartTLS after connecting set.
>
> The setting for Gmail is:
>    Server: imap.gmail.com
>    Port: 993
>    Encryption: TLS on a dedicated port
>    Authentication: OAuth2 (Google)
>
> With this it works properly for me, at least.

Mine reads the same and doesn't work :-(

> So since 14/6/19, I haven't been able to connect with Oauth2.  When I
> do get an error message it is the "Failed to authenticate: Data
> source
> “<email address>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication" message.
>
> Could you search in ~/.config/evolution/sources/ for all .source
> files
> which contain the email address from the error message, and see what
> value a Method key of an [Authentication] section of those files is
> set
> to, please? It might be like this:
>
>    [Authentication]
>    Host=imap.gmail.com
>    Method=Google
>    Port=993
>    User=<email-address>

I currently have 3 of about 60 *.source files that contain authentication sections that look just like that.

This morning, since this machine has been through a series of updates without reloading Mint 17.x -> 18.x -> 19.1, I created an evolution backup and uninstalled evolution, then reinstalled and loaded from the
backup.

The interesting thing is now I have 1 *.source file that has an Auth section for my gmail account, but doesn't have one for my G-Suite account. Yet, either way .. using 0auth2 fails with the same error.

Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

> where the 'Method=Google' means "OAuth2 against a Google server".
> Having the account configured with GNOME Online Accounts, it would be
> 'Method=OAuth2'. There are some restrictions on the OAuth2 for
> accounts
> configured in Evolution, it requires evolution-data-server to be
> compiled with that enabled. When it is, a web page with login to the
> Google server is shown when the token expires.

Is there any easy way to tell if my currently installed version of data-server was built with it enabled ?

> Any changes in those underlying files might be done when the
> evolution-source-registry process is not running, which can be tricky
> to achieve in certain situations (under certain desktop
> environments).
> You can run that process from a terminal too, maybe it writes
> something
> interesting there.
>

> I saw some issues in Bugzilla that suggested it might be related to
> bug in the version I'm using so I built the 3.30 version of the
> flatpak based on the info on the Evolution-flatpak page.
>
> Current stable series is 3.32. Why did you build 3.30? At least the
> steps described here:
> are referring to Evolution 3.32 series. You do not need to compile
> it,
> though, as you can get quite recent version from Flathub too.

I say 3.30, because a) that is the version listed in the commands listed on the evolution-flatpak page and b) in the json file used
by the flatpak system "runtime-version" : "3.30".

So I might just be confused by the current evolution version being listed as 3.32, but the runtimes being 3.30. or the docs are out of
sync.

> Same failure to connect but NO error messages or dialogs.
>
> You can verify you run correct version in Help->About of the
> Evolution.
> Maybe, the page mentions 3.30 of the GNOME Platform/SDK, but it
> doesn't
> claim what version of Evolution it actually builds, which may be
> confusing.

About says 3.32.4 (flatpak gitc51c64f).

Interesting, when I first start the flatpak, I get the

Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email>” does not support OAuth 2.0 authentication

message, but once I close the message dialog, I never get it again. So short of paying attention to the connection icon next to each account, there is no indication that anything is not working.

> Bye,
> Milan
>
> P.S.: Feel free to reply only to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution), I am
> subscribed and I do reply to your messages through the list, not to
> you
> directly, too.

My apologies, I thought I hit group reply. And today, I noticed that clicking group reply does both directly to you and to the list. learned
something new

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:27 AM Milan Crha via evolution-list <evolution-list gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 16:38 -0500, Japhering wrote:
>    Failed to authenticate: Data source “<email address>” does not
> support OAuth 2.0 authentication

        Hi,
that's an error message from evolution(-data-server). I'm not sure
whether you configured the account directly in Evolution, or through
GNOME (or Ubuntu) Online accounts. There had been some race conditions
involved when evolution-source-registry considered what authentication
method respective accounts should use (mostly related to Online
Accounts and Collection accounts (like if you configured Gmail in
Evolution and enabled to add also calendars and contacts at the end)).
This is fixed in more recent versions for sure (otherwise there would
be people complaining).
        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: Searching on Google with "evolution Data source does not support
OAuth 2.0 authentication" gives some results. I didn't look at them,
but, sometimes, one can reach related information easier this way, than
asking. Sometimes.