Re: [Evolution] reconnect

On Fri, 2017-09-22 at 11:53 +0200, Herr Oswald wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 20.09.2017, 11:57 +0200 schrieb Milan Crha:
I still vote for an attempt to make evo more robust against
network losses and other incidents and provide an enhanced
reconnect
feature
You mentioned in the launchpad bug report this error message:
"Failed to lookup credentials: Failed to get password from
GOA: timeout"
It means that it's not on the evolution side, but on the GOA
(goa-daemon) side, that it does something such long that the
request
Well...
IMHO it is not a good thing when a network related programme like evo
does not comfortably work with unreliable network connections. Think
about a laptop with a GSM/UMTS connection.

Sure, it is not awesome - but I've also never seen it work 100%
reliably on any platform, especially with cellular service.  Even down
to the level of applications & libraries caching negative name
resolution requests. . . it is a dicey business.

We see a fair amount of the-browser-won't-work calls due to
disconnect/connect [platform independent].  It is even worse when a
user skips between different wireless networks.

I've always felt the 'real' solution to this would be to connect
applications through a VPN tunnel which is architected to be resilient
and patient;  patient as jumping back in too soon is a frequent source
of problems.  But I've never seen such a thing.

This will (at least in
Germany) completely drop out several times an hour, and it's really
annoying if the user always has to do the reconnect manually - and in
the GOA thing even with a number of mouse clicks für several
calendars.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010