Re: [Evolution] Null "Received time" filter condition

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 10:49 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 09:16 -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

Since the bug doesn't represent much of a problem in the way I work
with Evolution, I'll wait for my distributions (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and
Mint Sarah) to catch up and push a fix from upstream to my desktop
systems here.
To be clear, those versions will never update Evolution to a newer
release.  That's what "LTS" implies: they don't upgrade LTS software to
newer versions, with a very few special cases.  They may apply
important security fixes, but that's about it... especially for
Evolution, which is not part of the base distribution.

Actually, Ubuntu and related distributions apply both security _and_
bug fix updates to packages in a given distribution and push them out
to users. They generally _don't_ update the upstream-assigned major,
minor and patch version numbers but tack on yet another spec denoting
the distribution's version of the package, e.g. "evolution 3.18.5.2-
0ubuntu3.2". I get offered updates all the time, which I almost always
accept, and there are two numbers presented by the package management
system: the number of updates, and the number of security updates. If
they're equal, then _all_ the updates are security updates, but often
I'm offered several updates which I assume are just bug-fixes.

You'll have to wait and upgrade to the next LTS release (18.04, next
April, which will hopefully provide a much newer Evolution) to get the
fix.

I'm sure that's when the updated upstream version will make its
appearance in the distribution, but it may well be that much of what's
been incorporated into the new upstream release has already been pushed
out with patches and fixes by the distribution package managers.

In this case, it's pretty much a no-nevermind for me since this
particular anomaly in Evolution is mainly a curiosity, as I noted in a

Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"
512-259-1190          |
http://www.fmp.com    | - Ancient wisdom, all cultures