Re: [Evolution] Sort so un-read messages come to the top?

On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 09:39 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 16:26 +1300, M wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 03:02 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > PS:
> >
> > JFTR you also could add search folders to your folder tree and apart
> > from all that kind of filtering, it's helpful to use several folders, to
> > filter incoming and outgoing mails in the first place, before selecting
> > a sort order or using search folders.
>

> So.. Evolution still can't do something as basic as sort by unread
> first, date second?

No, Evo is too basic to support such advanced features, I am afraid.

It supports "sort by, then sort by" in the message list pane:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-sorting-message-list.html
It supports having an "unread" search folder, even across all folders:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-search-folders.html
It supports using the space bar to read unread mail across folders:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-reading-keyboard-shortcuts.html#unread-across-folders

But I guess all those are just "workarounds", by your definition.

Does it support having unread messages stay at the top of the window where you can see, so that you can remember they're there if you defer acting on them till later (perhaps say the end of the day when your other jobs are finished), or must you hide them in other folders where you can't see them and have a chance to forget them all together?

Why not have a simple option to sort by unread? Evolution is better than most other clients on most respects, however this one can be a deal-breaker for many people.

Yes, they are workarounds, and they give windoze nutters a chance to point at Linux and say how bad it still is at doing basic tasks like email management. And it prevents Evolution from doing a simple common unread-then-date. instead it makes E do unread messages all over the place and trying to find stuff that came in today is difficult because that too is all over the place.

You have to remember that not every one wants to spend a couple of hours a day fucking around with trying to figure out what folder their email has gone into next when other mail programs can do this with a couple of clicks and done. TB is 2 clicks on the date field (to set date sorting as 1st priority and set the order to latest-first (for those who prefer newest at the bottom it's just the one click) then two clicks on the read/unread field to sort by that first (demoting date to 2nd sort order), again first to set the priority and second to change the ascending/descending. In a couple of seconds on TB I have it sorting messages in a logical manner in the same folder where I can see things rather than throwing stuff

(PS using the space bar to read unread messages went out of fashion in the 1960s I believe, when people started using the mouse to let them select messages in the order they want to read them in rather than just being limited to whatever order "mail" wanted to use).