Re: [Evolution] Sort so un-read messages come to the top?

Le 2017-12-23 à 15:07, M a écrit :
On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 09:39 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 16:26 +1300, M wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 03:02 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > PS:
> > from all that kind of filtering, it's helpful to use several folders, to
> > filter incoming and outgoing mails in the first place, before selecting
> > a sort order or using search folders.
> > > So.. Evolution still can't do something as basic as sort by unread > first, date second?
No, Evo is too basic to support such advanced features, I am afraid.

It supports "sort by, then sort by" in the message list pane:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-sorting-message-list.html
It supports having an "unread" search folder, even across all folders:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-search-folders.html
It supports using the space bar to read unread mail across folders:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-reading-keyboard-shortcuts.html#unread-across-folders

But I guess all those are just "workarounds", by your definition.

Does it support having unread messages stay at the top of the window where you can see, so that you can remember they're there if you defer acting on them till later (perhaps say the end of the day when your other jobs are finished), or must you hide them in other folders where you can't see them and have a chance to forget them all together?

If you like Thunderbird so much better in this respect, but don't like its' interface in general, you could always try Seamonkey, which is based on essentially the same code but has (to me) a much nicer (& more compact) interface. (I am actually moving away from both of them for other reasons.)

Why not have a simple option to sort by unread? Evolution is better than most other clients on most respects, however this one can be a deal-breaker for many people.

From other comments, it seems that you can show unread messages any time you want, just not all the time by default. I don't see how that would make evolution lacking seeing unread messages all the time by default a "deal breaker". They even proposed what Thunderbird/Seamonkey calls "virtual folders", a relatively easy solution you could configure yourself.
You can't bully developers into changing what you want.

Yes, they are workarounds, and they give windoze nutters a chance to point at Linux and say how bad it still is at doing basic tasks like email management.

They have the same Mozilla email clients, so that wouldn't make any sense.

 And it prevents Evolution from doing a simple common
unread-then-date. instead it makes E do unread messages all over the place and trying to find stuff that came in today is difficult because that too is all over the place.

You have to remember that not every one wants to spend a couple of hours a day

If you are that challenged using a computer, you probably need to update your **basic computer skills**

Sorry if you don't like my response, but being a long-time software developer and Linux user who doesn't (yet) use Evolution, I think you owe the developers of Evolution an apology.

--
André (not the one who usually answers on this list)