Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd.
80 Marine Parade Road,
Co. Reg. No. 199204958W
#22-06 Parkway Parade
Singapore 449269
Tel 65-6348-2212
Fax 65-6348-2232
DID 65-6348-2178
HP  65-9129-4250
Skype: johnserink

On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 19:14 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 09:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Evolution is working in it's designed environment.
Hi, the Evolution is not designed for the GNOME3 environment these days that much as it used to be, notably it doesn't follow the look and feel of the GNOME Shell applications. It might even look "old school" to someone (consider unsupported header bars, kept menu bar and so on). The Evolution doesn't need GNOME (I have built 3.18.something under Win32 too, and it is able to fetch my IMAPx account mails and show them). The Evolution "only" uses the technology (aka libraries) provided within the GNOME stack. It relies on GTK+ more than on GNOME itself. Current Evolution (even the development version 3.21.2) requires gtk+ 3.10.0, which is pretty old. There used to be versions which required latest gtk+/glib/..., but it was usually during the gtk3 migration and such. Of course, we'll get back to that times with the WebKit2 port, as the Evolution will require the latest WebKit2. It will be for good, I believe. There are some modules for integration with other GNOME parts, like GNOME Online Accounts (GOA), but it can be disabled, the same as the support for Ubuntu Online Accounts, if needed (did you know that Evolution has any such module? :) It resides in the Evolution-Data- Server). Even the connection to GNOME Keyring is indirect, the Evolution doesn't use GNOME Keyring directly, it uses libsecret library, which is a "wrapper" for password storage. Where it connects is out of the Evolution hands. The main "issue" for the Evolution is the dependency on the Evolution- Data-Server, which provides access to all but the Mail parts not only for the Evolution, but to any other client which connects to it. The Evolution-Data-Server is a core component for GNOME, because (not only) even GNOME Shell talks to it. I wanted to say, the Evolution is not that much tight to the current GNOME as it used to be. The need for GOA is more to "workaround" Google Contacts connection. The Evolution 3.20.0+ can do OAuth2 against Google on its own, when the Evolution-Data-Server is built with that part of the code. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list evolution-list gnome org To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list