Re: [Evolution] Mark emails as read annoyance

On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 16:20 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Here's what I'm seeing (this is Evo 3.8.4):
1) Opening the message (e.g. by hitting Return or double-clicking)
*always* marks it as Read immediately, i.e. the timeout settings are
ignored.

Seems correct to me, the message was opened, it is now seen.

2) If the preview pane is in the closed state at the moment the message
is selected, it will remain Unread, independently of the timeout
settings.

Seems correct.  The application never presented the content of the
message.

3) If the preview pane is in the open state at the moment when the
message is selected, the timeout settings are obeyed *as long as the
preview pane is left open*. Closing the preview pane will effectively
turn off the timer for this message, even if the preview pane is
reopened.

Seems correct to me, that is the purpose of the timer.  It is very
common to 'read mail' via the preview pane.  AFAIK every mail client
works this way;  Evolution using a timer is a nice feature,  other
clients make presented=seen immediately.

So in a sense "preview" is not exactly equivalent to "open" because of
the behaviour with timeouts. To put it another way, the timeout settings
are only relevant to the preview mode (the Preferences dialogue could
perhaps be clearer on this point). I assume that's why it's called
preview: you can flip quickly through the messages without marking them
as read, as long as your timeout is high enough (or it's turned off,
which is what I do).

Yep

I haven't looked at the behaviour when  switching folders, because
basically I don't care, but I find the semantics of what happens with
timers interesting in itself, especially when one is trying to describe
them in natural languages. It's actually quite hard to get this right.

But the timing can be adjusted, or even disabled.  If disabled previewed
will never be considered seen.

Turn off:
    gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail mark-seen false

Change value:
    gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail mark-seen-timeout 1500

  value is in milliseconds

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383