Re: [Evolution] evolutio forgets my passwords every start

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 00:46 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

I too have two keyrings - 'login' and 'default' - all my passwords are
in 'default' and I get asked for a password every time I start up Gnome
- so I thought I would do a bit of reading ...

It appears that unfortunately the PAM Gnome-Keyring integration will
only unlock the 'login' keyring - what is supposed to happen is that
when any other keyring is unlocked there should be a tick box saying
"Automatically unlock this on login" and then the password to this
keyring is stored in the login keyring and automatically used when the
keyring is needed in future. Needless to say, this doesn't happen for
me.

Just to follow up to myself.

I logged out of gnome and went to .gonme2/keyrings and renamed
'login.keyring' to something else, and then renamed 'default.keyring'
'login.keyring' and changed the contents of the file 'default' to read
'login'.  When I logged back in to gnome, it all worked properly - no
multiple prompts.

So the answer is to have the 'login' keyring as your default and have it
contain all the keys you need.  Then, so long as PAM is setup properly
you will be able to unlock the keyring at login and not enter any
passwords multiple times.

Thanks Pete. This is what worked for me:

I have both login.keyring and default.keyring. The file 'default'
already pointed at login.keyring. I tried switching login.keyring with
default.keyring but that didn't work. I switched them back and removed
(i.e. moved aside) default.keyring. That worked.

IOW even though the default keyring was already set as login.keyring,
the fact that a default.keyring file also existed seems to have been
what made Evo not work. I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or a
feature, but it works now. And my brain hurts.

As my kids would say, woohoo!

poc