Re: [Evolution] Big problems with evo

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 12:19 +0000, Svante R Signell wrote:
From: evolution-list-bounces gnome org [evolution-list-bounces gnome org] on behalf of Pete Biggs [pete
biggs org uk]
Sent: 22 March 2011 10:29
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Big problems with evo
I'll try to upgrade again. Can I safely remove the directory
.local/share/evolution/ before doing that, or is it as important as
,evolution?
Please, does anybody know the importance of the .local/share/evolution
files compared to .evolution? Can I safely remove that directory before
upgrading to 2.32.2-1
Evo data is stored in .evolution prior to 2.30 - after that it is stored
in .local/share/evolution and .evolution is not used and should have
been deleted by the upgrade process.

+1

When upgrading we should have been informed about this!!!

The user is, and upgrade dialog appears [at least I recall one; maybe
Ubuntu in their infinite user-experience wisdom disable it?]  It has
also been mentioned here over-and-over-and-over.

 Especially when my .evolution is on AFS and .local is not.
Additionally, evolution (more or less) freezes when the AFS ticket
expires, and no wen mails are received in a long time after .evolution
is made available again.  In my opinion it should not.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for the application to assume the
underlying file-system is consistently available.

I can tell you the amazing horrors that happen when you have VMs hosted
on an inconsistent filesystem [on $50,000 hardware :)].  It all turns to
poo.

If you are currently on 2.32.x and upgrading, then
removing .local/share/evolution will delete all your data.
If you aborted your previous upgrade half way through, then depending on
whether it had started deleting the contents of .evolution or not you
may or may not have everything there.
Looks like it was trying to upgrade and suddenly .evolution was no longer available.
I think most of the local folders are still there. However, the IMAP
folder is downloaded again and again. Is there any way to change the
erroneous setting somewhere? Does
removing .local/share/evolution/mail/imap/my_mail_account/* help
(creating everything again)? Or are there some .gconf setting causing
the problems?

Start evolution as evolution --offline, delete the IMAP account, and
recreate it.  I've had to do that when *I* dorked evolution up by
fiddling around.  The account configuration is in gconf, so just
deleting stuff beneath the folder is not sufficient.

If you have a backup of your original .evolution that you had on the AFS
mounted filesystem, then probably the only way you can get a clean
upgrade is to restore it, then copy it to your local disk and take AFS
out of the picture during the upgrade.  You will obviously have to
remove .local/share/evolution otherwise nothing will be upgraded (since
Evo thinks it has already done the file upgrade process) - I don't know
if there is a gconf key that also prevents multiple upgrades.
I did remove .local/share/evolution before starting the upgrades evo
(2.32.2-1). Same problem with IMAP folder downloading as above.