Re: [Evolution] Big problems with evo

See below,
From: evolution-list-bounces gnome org [evolution-list-bounces gnome org] on behalf of Adam Tauno Williams
[awilliam whitemice org]
Sent: 21 March 2011 13:35
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Big problems with evo

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 11:52 +0000, Svante R Signell wrote:
After Debian squeeze was released I continued to update the testing
distribution.
Suddenly evolution did not show any of IMAP files at all

By "files" I assume you mean messages?

Yes I mean messages.

and local folders were not visble.

"local folders"?  So you local folders disappeared as well as your IMAP
folders.

Yes, evo was busy with updating the IMAP stuff, so I don't know if they would be visible
when the IMAP searching was completed.

Downgrading to  evolution 2.30.3-5 did not solve the problem, still no
files in my IMAP INBOX folder, but at least the local folders are
visible.

Downgrading is a risky affair.  If you kept your config I'd wager it
won't work.

The big problem is that .evolution is a link to my AFS-backed up folder. An when not actively keeping the AFS
ticket current (timeout around 24 hours) evo gets into problems since no backups can be written. With newer
versions of evo (2.32.2-1) there are a lot of things happening like copying stuff from .evolution to .local
and
removing several directories etc. I think the problems comes from that .evolution is a link (timing out)
and .~/.local/share/evolution/ is a local directory confusing evo. I don't have this setup on other computers.

evo is constantly fetching the summary information from the imap
server and never completes:
Fetching summary information for new messages in INBOX (xx% complete)
and
Pinging IMAP server xx.yy.zzz (0% complete).

This seems like a connectivity issue.  Try running evolution like -

CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution.

And see what it says?

The debug output is showing all mails downloaded from the mail server (a lot of data).

Can you telnet to port 143 of your IMAP server?

Yes, I can connect to the mail server
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.