Re: [Evolution] Sync'ing desktop & laptop Evolution

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:11:29 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

Because the Gnome standard says that they should be stored there.

   OIC. Does that apply if I'm using KDE rather than Gnome as DTE?

anything beyond 2.30 doesn't use .evolution at all)

   As a matter of interest, what do they use instead? (Why?!)

Are you sure about that?  From the Pan FAQ:

        4.4. Where are Pan's configuration files?
        Pan keeps its server, group, and article information in the
        `.pan' directory in your home directory. Other configuration
        settings are kept in the gnome-config setup, which is typically
        in `.gnome/Pan' in your home directory.

   Yes.
No sign of anything pan-like in any of my ~/.gnomexxx directories.
  Perhaps it's because I'm using 'old' Pan and that is non-conformist?

Have you tried copying it back afterwards?  I've never tried restoring
Evo on top of an existing version.

  Yes - works fine.   Isn't that what a 'restore' is supposed to do?!

The backup/restore was never designed (or meant) to be used as a
frequent method of moving your Evo data around.

  Perhaps not, but it does that well.

I'm not 'moving data around', I'm cloning the current setup of one
instance of Evolution into another, so that it then has all the
settings, contacts, etc. and email that the other has.
   I do the same with all the other applications that I need on the
laptop, and have been doing for years.
  (Thuis includes, by the way, an  8GB Virtualbox image of
a Windows XP installation.).

I used to try and find methods of keeping multiple copies of Evo in
sync
- especially calendars and contacts, but mail as well.  Since I moved
everything on to servers and exclusively use IMAP/CalDAV/LDAP (either on
public or private servers), then things are much easier.  At the last
count I had 6 copies of Evo all working nicely together, two of which
are laptops; it has the added benefit that my iPhone also plays happily
with it.

Presumably you use that method because the requirements include access
to the data randomly from the various machines, in which case I can
understand why you need the sophisticated setup.

In my case, only one of the machines is running in any period of
several days, and it holds the master copy of my functions.
  And I don't have my email relying on some storage up in The Clouds.

We all have different requirements and different ways of achieving
them. One good thing about Linux is that it allows everyone to select
from all the different ways of achieving the same ends..
  Were my circumstances to change, I might well finish up working along
your lines!
--
/\/\aurice
  http://www.maurice.icuknet.co.uk