Re: [Evolution] Sync'ing desktop & laptop Evolution

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 16:46 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:42:38 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

use IMAP. If your server doesn't support IMAP, use one
that does.

  Thank you, but I don't want to get into that kind of multiple access.
Would rather keep it simple with POP.

Actually staying with POP means complicating your life, whereas using
IMAP (not as an alternative but exclusively) will simplify it.

I suspect Backup/Restore might well do the trick for me.
Will give that a try before taking another look at IMAP.

That's not what Backup/Restore is for. You're going to be copying an
entire mailbox back and forward, instead of just syncing the changes.
For anything more than a few megabytes of mail, I suspect this will
rapidly get out of hand. It's not something I would consider doing on a
regular basis for the several gigs of mail I have. Fine for transferring
your setup to a new machine, not so fine for daily work.

You're also risking losing a lot if the backup file becomes corrupted
and you restore it on top of your existing structure.

OTOH using IMAP means setting it up once (on each machine) and
forgetting about it.

poc