Re: [Evolution] Sync'ing desktop & laptop Evolution

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:27:04 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:

I wouldn't recommend syncing that way. It may have side effects. I'd
rather use SyncEvolution.

First, I want to apologise for using the term 'sync' in such a vague
way.

I did not mean "dynamic sync'ing", which is what I imagine
SyncEvolution does (though not, apparently, wih email itself, which is
my aim).

My much simpler requirement is to be able to 'prime' my laptop with the
the overall contents of my normal Inbox and Sent folders, so that -
whilst away from base - I can conduct emailing as if at base.
   (During my absence my desktop m/c - where the main email
Inbox & Sent folders reside - would not be used.)

Then, when returning to base, I need to bring the desktop's email up to
date with whatever was received and sent on the laptop (which then would
not be used until the next trip from base).

Formerly - when using Kmail - I did all that by cloning the current
Inbox and Sent folders into the laptop, then doing the reverse on return
to base.

   Is there a simple way to do that with Evolution?

Could it, for example,  simply be a question of a cloning the
~/.evolution/mail/local directory into the laptop (replacing whatever
was there) - and the reverse on return to base?
  I suspect that would need to be done before Evolution is first used
after booting the system.   Is that true?

If, on the other hand, that cloning of the /mail/local directory must
be done between 'dead' (i.e. unbooted) systems, then that is no problem.

The simplest yet most complete action would be to clone the whole
~/.evolution  directory (though to be totally complete there appear to
be other bits in ~/.gnome/gconf/apps and ~/.gnome2_private).

--
/\/\aurice