Re: [Evolution] Deadly Upgrade

On 30 November 2010 03:28, Kip Warner <kip thevertigo com> wrote:
Hey Jo-Erlend. You're absolutely right. It's not very constructive to
say there is a problem and not contribute to a solution. I would have
been more help, but I didn't know that this would happen when I
installed the new package. The lesson has been learned though. In the
future, I will always do a backup before upgrading the Evolution
packages.

That's always a good idea. More generally, it's a good idea to do a
backup before you do any major version upgrades. It's not specific to
Evolution. But that wasn't what I meant.

I meant that when you're using free software and you run into a
problem, then document your work as you try to solve it. It's smart
for several reasons:

1) If the problem is caused by a bug, then that documentation may help
others fix the bug.
2) If you make a mistake, then you can easily backtrack.
3) It's a good reference for yourself if something similar ever happens again.
4) You save others unnecessary work. Saving other peoples time, means
they'll have more time to help you, potentially.
5) As a bonus, if there are any negative side effects of better way of
solving the problem, then others can help you improve your fix.

Just a general idea.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad