Re: [Evolution] --force-shutdown doesn't close all Evo processes on 2.32

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 08:34 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 21:11 -0600, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 22:11 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
'--force-shutdown' has always seemed to me a kludge, effectively a tacit
admission that the GUI can sometimes freeze and not listen to Quit. I
hope we can get to a point where it's no longer necessary. I don't see
similar options for Thunderbird, Claws, Kmail, ...
I agree.

In defense of Evolution I haven't seen a component oriented application
that doesn't provide some escape clause [comparing Evolution to
Thunderbird is like comparing a 2010 Toyota Prius to a 1919 Model-T Ford
anyway; I know which I'd rather drive on the highway (and I own both)].

Hmm, I think you lost control of the analogy in there. Surely the Prius
should be safer and more reliable, especially when it comes to
braking :-)

The question seems reasonable to me if quitting [or even killing] the
GUI *should* stop the components since they are used by other things
[OpenOffice, the GNOME calendar widget, etc...]

Actually one of the main uses for --force-shutdown used to be to kill
the GUI when it resolutely refused to die. Doesn't happen much nowadays
but habits die hard.

poc