Re: [Evolution] --force-shutdown doesn't close all Evo processes on 2.32

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 08:34 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 21:11 -0600, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 22:11 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
'--force-shutdown' has always seemed to me a kludge, effectively a tacit
admission that the GUI can sometimes freeze and not listen to Quit. I
hope we can get to a point where it's no longer necessary. I don't see
similar options for Thunderbird, Claws, Kmail, ...
I agree.

In defense of Evolution I haven't seen a component oriented application
that doesn't provide some escape clause [comparing Evolution to
Thunderbird is like comparing a 2010 Toyota Prius to a 1919 Model-T Ford
anyway; I know which I'd rather drive on the highway (and I own both)].

The question seems reasonable to me if quitting [or even killing] the
GUI *should* stop the components since they are used by other things
[OpenOffice, the GNOME calendar widget, etc...]

I've never really seen (or used) --force-shutdown as method of killing
the GUI - the window manager can usually take care of times when it is
not responding [1]; I've more seen it as a method of cleaning up the
background processes when things get in a tangle.  A typical use case is
the one I highlighted at the start of the thread: a factory process was
using an excessive amount of memory, and I thought --force-shutdown
would be the appropriate method of gracefully shutting down the process.

Personally I can cope with using ps and kill - but it just came as a
surprise that the result of a command has changed over the versions.  I
can see that if the various backend components are used by other things
then it might be unwise to kill them, but might it be possible as part
of the --force-shutdown output to list the components that were started
by, or are associated with, Evo, but haven't been killed because they
are in use by something else?

I should also mention here that the command 'killev', which does a
similar thing as --force-shutdown also leaves the component processes
running.

P.

[1] The only time I ever wanted to try and use it to kill the GUI was
remotely, and then it doesn't work (see bug #247913).