Re: [Evolution] Message Filter vs. Search Folders - Open Discussion

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 11:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 11/4/10 9:34 AM, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:

>> >  Must be different. I do see the new mail in my Inbox almost instantly
>> >  but the time it takes to move them(filter them) into the respected
>> >  folders is significant when compared to the time
>> >  taken to perform the search function.
>> Maybe it's the move that's taking the time rather than the filter match.
>> Recall that moving in IMAP is "copy and delete". Depending on the server
>> load and its IMAP implementation (flat mbox files like UW, maildirs like
>> Dovecot, database like Gmail, file-per-message like Cyrus) this could be
>> slow.
>>
>> poc
> That's exactly what I'm thinking. both suggestions of retooling to use
> either search folders or IMAPfilter will remove that apparently
> daunting tasking from Evo. Wouldn't Sieve also be an option in that case?

Sure, mainly because Sieve does the work when mail reaches the server,
not when Evo decides to check it. Unfortunately Evo doesn't have a Sieve
interface (though it's been asked for several times), and of course many
IMAP servers don't have Sieve either. A chicken-and-egg situation I'd say.

poc
I had come the conclusion that as per Reid's suggestion offlineimap could be used for at least part of want I'm looking to do. I found this while setting up offlineimap:

# You can specify a pre and post sync hook to execute a external command.
# in this case a call to imapfilter to filter mail before the sync process
# starts and a custom shell script after the sync completes.
# The pre sync script has to complete before a sync to the account will
# start.

# presynchook = imapfilter

All this to say I'm quite confident the "race" issue Patrick indicated can effectively be put to rest in light of the above.

Just FYI in case anyone cares.

PS> offlineimap is the fastest little piece of code I've ever seen handle my mail!

Phil