Re: [Evolution] Message Filter vs. Search Folders - Open Discussion

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 09:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 11/4/10 8:50 AM, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
>> Meaning the time taken to run the search selection criterion on the
>> contents of the mailbox. This should be similar to the time taken to run
>> a filter, unless the implementations are completely different.
> Must be different. I do see the new mail in my Inbox almost instantly
> but the time it takes to move them(filter them) into the respected
> folders is significant when compared to the time
> taken to perform the search function.
Maybe it's the move that's taking the time rather than the filter match.
Recall that moving in IMAP is "copy and delete". Depending on the server
load and its IMAP implementation (flat mbox files like UW, maildirs like
Dovecot, database like Gmail, file-per-message like Cyrus) this could be
slow.

poc
That's exactly what I'm thinking. both suggestions of retooling to use either search folders or IMAPfilter will remove that apparently
daunting tasking from Evo. Wouldn't Sieve also be an option in that case?

Phil