Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 08:30 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 13:19 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 04:10 -0500, darren ontrenet com wrote:
Huh?
Many people don't leave their messages on ISP servers because of quotas,
Get a better ISP.
so then they get downloaded to their local machine. Where you want fast,
reliable access to them (e.g. searching, sorting, etc.) Unfortunately,
without ACID principles, your local email will get corrupted. And most
don't want that.
Because database technology (embedded or otherwise), use things called
'transactions' it protects the data. If you brew your own 'local storage
system' like Evolution, you have what we have now which is unreliable and
slow.
My turn to say "Huh?".
In what way has Evo "brewed" it's own storage system?  It uses standard
MBOX files on top of the native filesystem.  That's about as standard as
it gets.

I say - "Heh?". ;)

Because I come down on the other side;  the app might be better off if
they "brewed" their own storage format [like Cyrus IMAP did]

Have you looked at what type of files are in a Cyrus folder ?
They look like bog-standard mails to me, except attachments are split.

        Xav