Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 15:27 -0500, Darren Govoni wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 15:19 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 21:04 +0100, Jean-Michel Pourà wrote:
Le lundi 20 dÃcembre 2010 Ã 09:14 -0500, Darren Govoni a Ãcrit :
1) I now get frequent "error storing folders", "error generating
message list"
2) It's so slow. It is always "Storing folder", taking almost minutes
to complete. Its on average 5-8x slower
downloading, storing and viewing messages.
3) Its very buggy. When new messages arrive, they no longer show up in
the folder I'm viewing.
I have to click another folder and click back to see them.
4) For the first time ever, it corrupted my email files and I had to
recover from backup.
I had these issues until I understood that the deleted messages are not
deleted. They are simply hidden. Thus the mailboxes become huge and
unusable. There is no automatic purge of deleted messages. This is a
flaw in the design of Evolution.
That would make no sense for a local desktop application - to have to
have a database instance to store [cache] mail?
There are numerous embeddable SQL transactional databases that provide
fast, reliable
and ACID properties that would greatly improve the speed and
durability of something
important like email.
Since its now clear that Evolution has scaling issues,

I disagree.

moving in this design direction should be a good thing.

Have you tried them with large amounts of data, with BLOBs [which is
essentially what an e-mail message is]?  In my experience they fall
down, *hard*.  The meta-data databases in current versions uses SQLite
[I believe];  the actual messages are stored in the filesystem [1]
(which seems reasonable to me).  I'd agree that anytime the meta-data
database gets whacked it is a bug.

[1] I don't recall how; if they are mbox [which might have a 2GB issue]
or if they [the developers] switched to maildir or mh or something else.